When I found out that What’s in the Bible was adding a Christmas special I knew that it was one I wanted to watch.
In Why Do We Call It Christmas? Buck Denver and his friends ask questions about some of our Christmas traditions. Why do we cut down trees? What is the deal with Santa? Why do we celebrate in December? They even tackle Hanukkah! Delicately they walk the line between informative and funny. Just watch…
So you can imagine my family’s excitement when we were sent a copy of the DVD to review courtesy of What’s In The Bible.
About Why Do We Call it Christmas
With humor and tact Buck Denver and his puppet pals cover everything from cutting down trees, hanging stockings, Santa Claus and what these have to do with Jesus’ birthday.
- Run Time: approx. 60 minutes
- You can purchase the DVD for $9.99 or rent for $4.99 on Amazon Video.
3 Reasons to Love Why Do We Call It Christmas?
- Funny – As a teacher, I am all about what I like to call “edutainment”. I love when my kiddo is learning while laughing and having fun! Its so sneaky! The silly characters will appeal to most every child, while the silly things they say will appeal to the parents.
- Informative – The information in this series may be over some kiddos’ heads at first, but I like that its truth they’ll grow into. Plus its full of interesting facts for adults too! I wasn’t even aware of the origins of some of our most cherished Christmas traditions. It was fascinating to hear the story behind Christmas as we know it.
- Focused – While much ground is covered in the 50+ minute video the host, Phil Vischer, wraps it all up by saying that many of the traditions we hold dear point back to Jesus. They may seem silly when you think about it (hanging socks on a fireplace, putting a giant tree in your living room, etc.) but in some way, each tradition tells a part of the Christmas story.
In the end, I recommend this DVD for every family. It is entertaining and I wouldn’t be surprised if your kiddo asks to watch this video multiple times this season. They’ll love the music, the humor, and the stories. Not only will your children love it, but this a children’s DVD that even the parents can enjoy. It will balance out your Christmas DVD collection by doing an excellent job of putting the focus back on Jesus.
|Review Disclosure: The featured product for this review was provided to me, at no cost, by What’s in the Bible? All opinions expressed are my own. I am an affiliate, so if you purchase anything through an affiliate link, you give back a percentage to our family…thanks!|