I (Amber) was recently given the opportunity to review The Purplinker, which was offered to me from Timberdoodle.
The Purplinker is a learning manipulative made of seven pieces of hinged, purple plastic that can be used to create any letter of the alphabet or any number from 0-9.
So, here is my honest Teaching Mommy opinion.
- Endless Possibilities! – The packaging on this toy says that its operated by “Brain Power”, and because of this the possibilities are truly endless. While we did make letters and numbers with our Purplinker, E was also able to make an canyon for Rapunzel and Flynn, a lasso for Cowgirl Jessie, and a sword to fight Captain Hook. It really was fuel for the imagination. I just can’t see E growing out of this toy, because it will grow with her. That is a valuable thing in a homeschool purchase!
- Keeps Kids Engaged and Learning Fun – This toy is a Montessori dream. Its hands on and requires abstract thought, which might have proven frustrating for E, so we made playing with The Purplinker a game. I would ask her to make a letter, and then I would guess. Sometimes we would play the other way around. Either way, it was something she could do while I was prepping dinner or folding laundry. It was also something that daddy could do with her, and that was fun, too.
- Easy to Use – No batteries. No assembly. No directions to decode. Right out of the easy to open packaging the Purplinker is ready to play.
- Travels Well– We The Purplinker folds up very small, and would easily fit into a mommies purse. We let E play with it some in the car, and it easily kept her entertained for our drive of about 20 minutes. Be warned though that it will increase your kiddos reach enough to hit daddy in the back of the head.
- Might be difficult for little ones- E is just now mastering her letters and numbers. Because the Purplinker makes sharp right angles and not rounded ones, it can make some letters and numbers difficult. Take the number 8 and the Letter B….
That being said, helping kids look at things differently really opens the doors educationally.
Overall, I think The Purplinker is a wonderful addition to our learning toys. I am thrilled that we have this toy and am grateful that we got the chance to review it. Timberdoodle is a great resource for teaching mommies, and you can contact them here to receive a free catalog by mail, or just visit them on-line and look through their wonderful resources.
|2 Teaching Mommies Review Disclosure: The featured product for this review was provided to me, at no cost, by The Timberdoodle Blogger Review Team for the sole purpose of product testing. I do not accept monetary compensation for reviewing or writing about products. All opinions expressed are my own.|
I actually received a Purplinker in its test run phase directly from the inventor (a stepfather of my good high school friend). I’m glad to see that you had positive experiences. I hope you don’t mind I passed on your blog review to the family.
I don’t mind at all! We really do love our Purplinker. E requests it all the time!