The verse you will be working with your child on this week is Jeremiah 29:11.
- The Book Oh the Places You’ll Go by Dr. Seuss
- Read the book with your tot at some point before the devotional. Depending upon your kiddos attention span you may not want to read the story and then go right into the devotional. You can use the book as a cue if you read it and do the devotional later.
- Say the verse above with your tot. We suggest that you print the verse off and use it every morning with your calendar time. If you don’t do calendar time still say the verse each morning with your tot before you begin tot school.
- Follow the cues given in this devotional.
Talk with your child about the following:
This week we’ve been reading a lot of Dr. Seuss books. The book we read today was called Oh, the Places You’ll Go. In the book the little boy went a lot of places, didn’t he? Do you remember some of the places he went? He went down the street, and out into the country, didn’t he? There were a couple of times that he didn’t know where to go, and there were a couple of times that he also got a little scared, huh?
Its easy to scared or upset when something happens that we don’t think will happen. Like when we lose a favorite toy, or we don’t get the things that we would like to get. You might get scared when you don’t know what is going to happen, huh? But you know what? There is someone who knows EXACTLY what is going to happen to us. Do you know who that is?
God knows just what is going to happen to each of us. Our Bible verse tells us that God knows the plans he has for us, and He tells us that those plans are there to cause good things to happen to us. Just like the little boy in the book, we don’t always know what is going to happen, but we do have something the little boy in the book didn’t have. We have the Bible, and it is full of the promises God gave to us, and we know that God has plans for us. Those are very good things to have for the places we will go.
Lord, thank you for having plans for us and our lives. We know that there are things that will happen that we don’t expect. In those times help us to know that you have plans for us, and that the things that are happening are all in your hands. Help us to look in the Bible when we have questions about where we should go, and what we should do. Help us also to have joy in knowing that you want only good things for us, and that all things will work for the good of us when we love you. In your name we pray, Amen.
Questions to ask:
- You may want to review last weeks questions with your tot
- Who knows the plans for you? God
- When we don’t know what to do, where should we look for answers? The Bible