Here are the units you can expect in the month ahead on 2 Teaching Mommies!
Keep your eyes out for good deals and items you can use to supplement the teaching of these units for your tot!
Community Helpers-The Mailman, The Garbage Man, and The Grocer
- For part of this unit your tot will participate in pretend play. Be thinking of inexpensive costumes for your tot, or keep your eyes open for them out and about!
- Keep a copy of your weekly grocery ad for one of the activities
- Save some of your junk mail for an activity
- Look for books about community and the grocery (Don’t Forget the Oatmeal, a Sesame Street book, is one of my favorites!)
- Our movie night will feature Wall-E, so you might want to see if you can grab it out and about!
- Books about animals or forest habitats
- Order some forest movies (like Over the Hedge, Bambi, or Brother Bear) from Net Flix, or look for them at Yard Sales, consignment sales, or bargain bins
- Any counting manipulatives that might be forest related. Think leaves, acorns, and plastic animals. While none of our lessons will require these, they would be good supplies for supplemental activities.
Fall (2 weeks of plans)
- Fall leave stickers would be a good buy for some of our lessons! I found these for $1 at Target. In case you haven’t noticed, I love Target!
- Look for fall counters. I found these fantastic plastic pumpkins at the Dollar Tree! They also had plastic acorns!
- Consider buying some fake colored leaves. You can use them for crafts during this unit.
- Go ahead and look on-line at your library’s catalog. Reserve your fall books now! Remember, think fall, not Halloween! Look for leaf books and apple books if you can find them! These are the two items we will be focusing on for our units.
- See if you can find a farm in your area that will offer apple picking later this month. It would make a great tots around town field trip!
People who keep me safe/Safety Week:
- Books on Firemen and Policemen will come in handy for this unit!
- If you are out at fall festivals or state fairs look for safety coloring books for kids. A lot of police and fire departments hand these out for tots, and the coloring pages will reinforce what you’ll be covering.
- If you spot any items you could use for dress up this week, grab them if they are cheap. Think plastic fire hats and police badges. With a little imagination, those are costumes in themselves!
- Contact your local fire department and see if they would allow you to stop by and visit the fire station. This would make a great field trip, and they might have some goodies they give to kiddos! If you are uncomfortable going it alone, talk about it at some of your play dates this month. Some of your friends might love a field trip, even if they aren’t doing tot school!
We hope that this heads up on what to expect this next month will make it easier for you to keep up with us here at 2 Teaching Mommies! Have a happy September!
|Questions? Post questions or comments on our Facebook Page. You may have the same question as someone else. If you don’t have a Facebook account, feel free to email us.|
You guys are awesome! Thank you so much. I will definitely be doing these themes next month.