This year our history curriculum is devoted to the history of the United States. We are going all the way back to the Native Americans and first settlers and working our way to the 2000s. One of the things I love about history is you can never stop learning about our past, other cultures and important historical figures. You can find countless books and resources on any one topic and go as deep in your study as you want. [Don’t miss the giveaway at the bottom of this post!]
Disclosure: I received this product for free and was compensated for my time. All opinions expressed are my own and I was not required to post a positive review.
Therefore, I’m always on the look out for books and activities that will supplement our history lessons. I recently found Captivate & Educate: History & Me – A workbook of historic figures and family research. History & Me is an Education.com Workbook produced and distributed by Dover Publications. I think it can serve as a helpful supplement to your homeschool history instruction. I found a handful of benefits your family might enjoy.
About History & Me Activity Book
History & Me is broken up into four sections.
- “She’s So Cool” celebrates women in history by introducing your child to biographies, photography and timelines.
- Next is the “American Heroes” section where each page includes a picture, brief bio and word scramble about an influential American. You’ll see everyone from Abraham Lincoln to Thomas Edison and Maya Angelou to Susan B. Anthony.
- “Presidential Potpourri” goes in depth on George Washington, Abraham Lincoln and Barack Obama with activities that include drawing monuments and building timelines.
- “Tracing Your Roots” leads your child through some creative exercises that will help them appreciate their unique heritage.
It has perforated pages for easy removal and each section ends with a certificate of completion. The workbook is valued at $7.99.
3 Ways History & Me Can Enhance History Lessons
- Teaches your child how to read history and conduct research. My job as a home educating mommy is not to simply teach my child facts, but to teach him how to learn. I want to help him acquire the skills he needs to educate himself with trusted books, websites and other sources. History & Me is a helpful tool in preparing my child to be able to do his own research…and I don’t know any homeschooling mamas who don’t like when their child can competently work independently.
- Gives an introduction to some of America’s greatest influencers. You might find the American Heroes section to be a useful supplement for those studying American history. While it’s not an extensive collection of biographies, History & Me could introduce you and your child to some new figures they’ve never heard of who helped shape our country in one way or another. The biographies include activists, athletes, inventors, writers and more.
- Helps you celebrate your family’s heritage and uniqueness. The final section of History & Me offers your child a chance to dig into their family history. There are a series of interview questions for your child to interview you (or a grandparent) to see what life was like when you were their age. There’s a map your child can use to show where your family has lived or where family members were born. Your child can even record some of your families special recipes, create a family crest and storyboard a movie about your family’s history. I know my future filmmaker will enjoy that!
Mom’s who are searching for something to give their homeschool days a bit more variety might find the Education.com workbooks helpful. I would encourage you to investigate for yourself to see if these workbooks are a worthwhile supplement to your current curriculum or simply a nice option for a rainy day activity.
More Education.com Workbooks
Dover Publications offers a variety of Education.com workbooks to actively engage children ages 3-11 (K-5) and provide them with fun-filled, memorable learning experiences. Tested by millions of educators including parents and homeschoolers, each workbook has fun themes, contains a certificate of completion that ends each section, and has perforated pages for easy removal. Subjects include history, math, reading, science, and writing. History & Me is a part of Education.com’s Captivate & Educate set of activity books for 2nd grade. The other titles include Number Roundup (math), Wonderful Words (vocabulary) and Fun with Nature (science). All of the workbooks feature a variety of activities that develop vocabulary, reasoning skills and reading comprehension among other valuable learning skills. They are designed to be supplemental materials to your everyday instruction.
Shop Dover Publications
Save 25% at www.doverpublications.com until October 31, 2015. Just enter promo code WHBH at checkout.
Win a Dover Publications Workbook Set
Enter to win one of three workbook sets (science, grade level workbooks, or art) from Dover Publications. You can win a complete grade level set of Education.com workbooks, the entire Tabletop Scientist series or Spot the Differences Art Masterpiece Mysteries books 1-4. There will be 10 winners!!! Giveaway closes Oct. 8, 2015
Please Note: Prizes shipped only to USA addresses. Entry means you give iHomeschool Network permission to give your email address to Dover Publications for the purpose of promotional emails.
The other two product lines that are also a part of the giveaway include:
- Tabletop Scientist Series (value $27.96): Filled with real-life examples and easy-to-understand explanations, these full-color books introduce simple scientific principles to children ages 10 and up through exciting experiments and other activities. Plus, there are plenty of suggestions for further investigations on the topics. This set includes the following titles: The Science of Air, The Science of Light, The Science of Sound and The Science of Water.
- Spot the Differences Art Mysteries books 1-4 (value $39.96) How well do you truly know the great masterpieces of fine art? Take a close look at 25 of the world’s most famous paintings in each of these artful puzzle books. Two identical-looking full-page versions of a masterpiece appear side by side, but a careful search will reveal several subtle — and sometimes amusing — differences.
Find out More About Dover Publications
Save with Dover Publications
Dover Publications’ offer several ways for their costumers to grab some additional savings. Don’t miss out on these two great opportunities.
- Dover Special Offer Newsletter– You’ll definitely want to sign up for this newsletter. You’ll get exclusive online coupons and other money-saving offers that you can’t get anywhere else!! Dover Publications books are already a great value, and with these special offers you can save even more! I don’t know about you, but all about the savings!!
- Dover’s Reward Program – As a loyal Dover Publications’ customer, you snag some rewards!! The offer a loyalty program, so every order you place at their website earns you reward points that you can redeem for valuable eGift Certificates!! Use your Certificates to save on future purchases — they are valid on every book they publish!
Just head to their webpage and follow the buttons in left hand navigation to sign up for their discounts and rewards.