Inspiration. It’s a key ingredient in every good story, but so much of the entertainment for young boys today lack it. Where are the tales of young men who face fear head on and overcome impossible odds? Where are the legends of the good guys standing their ground against enemies ten times their size? Where are the stories of once great heroes at the end of themselves who finally turn to God and discover untold levels of strength? [Don’t miss the giveaway at the bottom of this post!]
Disclosure: I received this product for free and was compensated for my time. All opinions expressed are my own and I was not required to post a positive review.
Sadly, these stories are in short supply, but we’ve discovered a great source of inspirational entertainment for our boys. Heirloom Audio is bringing to life some of G.A. Henty’s best historical fiction with full scale audio dramas. G.A. Henty was a 19th century English novelist who authored more than 100 books that have stood the test of time.
About Heirloom Audio Productions
Heirloom Audio Productions is passionate about bringing real history to life. They produce audio adventures for Christian families. Their goal is to engage listeners’ imaginations by taking them back in time and immersing them in the story. We recently reviewed The Dragon and The Raven, one of Henty’s most popular books and one of Heirloom Audio’s Extraordinary Adventures of G.A. Henty.
The Dragon and The Raven Synopsis
The Danes have swept over every kingdom in England, laying waste to everything in their path. Join Edmund and the one man who is willing to stand against the invaders – the young King Alfred of Wessex. From standing in the shield-wall to sailing on the whale-road, Alfred and Edmund realize the nation’s only hope is to turn back to the God they have abandoned. Can the two young warriors turn the tide of the war and save their world?
Just that description alone gets your heart pumping. Here are just a few things our family loved about this audio drama.
Why We Love Heirloom’s Audio Dramas
- Inspiring historical entertainment without a screen. A long car ride along monotonous interstate highways. A summer afternoon with a soaring heat index. A quiet evening at home with the whole family around. These are all perfect opportunities to immerse yourself in an amazing story of historical fiction created by Heirloom Audio.
- Christian stories that captivate boys. (Girls will love them too.) The Dragon and the Raven was really a great story. We listened to it on the way home from a road trip and it held our whole family’s attention for the entire 2 ½ hour production. Mr. George (G.A. Henty voiced by Brian Blessed) retells the tale of how Alfred the Great along with his men stood their ground against an overpowering Viking army and won back England. The story includes sword fights and naval battles, daring cunning and sneak attacks against enemies, young men coming into their own and men loving women well. And throughout the story young listeners learn important biblical truths still relevant today. Does it really get any better?
- The audio experience is superb. What impressed me was the quality of the production. Imagine watching a major motion picture with your eyes closed. That’s essentially the level of production this audio drama brings. While the narrator does a good job of setting the scene, the setting is always evident because the audio engineering is so good. Whether in a cavernous room or the misty woods at night, each new setting had a unique quality to it. The sound effects during the battle scenes were amazing as well. Dozens of swords and shields crashing together as warriors clashed. Your mind is instantly filled with imagery. The soundtrack rivals anything you’ll hear on television or at the movies. It did a great job of keeping the energy up during the action and drawing the listener in during the important dialogue.
The Bottom Line
This audio drama is a lot of fun. I would recommend picking up one of the Extraordinary Adventures of G.A. Henty from Heirloom Audio. You have plenty of options when you purchase a story including study guides, discussion starters, downloadable audio, posters and ebooks. There’s even a package that includes a behind-the-scenes documentary. Knowing my boys I doubt we’ve listened to The Dragon and the Raven for the last time.
Win A Copy of the Dragon and the Raven
Heirloom Audio is giving away two copies of The Dragon and the Raven. Enter for your chance to to win one.
Find out More About Heirloom Audio
Connect with Heirloom Audio
- Visit their website.
- Join them on Facebook – Heirloom Audio Productions
- Find them on Twitter – @HeirloomStories
- Check out their pins on Pinterest – Heirloom Audio
- Follow them on Google+- Heirloom Audio Productions
- Add them on Instagram- @HeirloomAudioOfficial
Leave a Reply