Normally on Thursdays we post about a craft or a field trip. This week though, we’re posting a special detailed post about a lesson in our unit. This lesson does make a great family activity, so we encourage you to try it with all your kiddos!
For this activity you will need:
- 2 8 serving boxes of Jell-O, any flavor
- 1 cup of Tonic Water
- 1 1/2 cups of Water
- Cookie Cutters in Halloween Shapes
- A Black Light Bulb
To make the Jell-O
- Bring the Tonic Water and the water to a boil
- Stir in the Jell-O mix and allow it to completely dissolve
- Pour into a 9×13 cake pan and put refrigerate for 3 1/2 hours
- Once you remove from the refrigerator soak the bottom of the cake pan in warm water to loosen the Jell-O
- Turn the Jell-O out onto a cookie sheet
- Use cookie cutters to cut out Jell-O shapes
Once you’ve cut out the shapes, put them on a white plate, if you have one, and turn off all of the lights but the black light. Step back and look at the show!
- We used red Jell-O but I wouldn’t recommend it. It came out very dark. If I did it again I would use blue or orange.
- Black Light bulbs can be found at any store
- Tonic Water is made by Canada Dry and is in the drink aisle at your grocery. Do not use Diet Tonic Water, like we did. It dulls the glow.
- Spray your cake pan with cooking spray before putting the Jell-O in to chill
- Halloween cookie cutters can be bought individually for around a $1. I found ours at Kroger in the seasonal aisle.
- Tonic water is carbonated, and if shaken, it will explode when opening…not that it happened to me or anything :)
|Questions? Post questions or comments on our Facebook Page. You may have the same question as someone else. If you don’t have a Facebook account, feel free to email us.|
Giggly Girls says
What? No pictures of the explosion? LOL
Awesome cooking project!