This week we are posting lessons you can use with your tot for Christmas. Our verse is from Matthew 5:16.
“Let your light shine before others.”
Your Christmas tree with the lights off
- Sit down with your child in front of your Christmas tree, and make sure the lights are off.
- Go over the devotional with your child.
- Say the verse above with your tot. We suggest that you print the verse off and use it every morning with your calendar time. If you don’t do calendar time still say the verse each morning with your tot before you begin tot school.
Talk about the following with your tot:
I think we have a pretty Christmas tree, don’t you? Do you remember when we got the tree out for the very first time this year what it looked like. The branches were bare and there wasn’t anything on it at all, was there? It didn’t look too pretty, but then we put some things on the tree to make it look better. We put on the ornaments, the candy canes, and the icicles, and that made it look a lot prettier. Something though is still missing from our tree right now. Do you know what it is? That’s right! The lights! (Plug in your Christmas tree at this point) The lights make everything so much nicer! It makes the tree bright and pretty. Without the lights, its just a tree, but with the lights, its something special. Our verse today tells us that we are to let our light shine before men. Do you know what the light in us is? Its Jesus. When we believe in Jesus he comes to live inside us. We can make ourselves look really nice on the outside, but without Jesus we are like a Christmas tree without lights. When we do kind things and love one another it shows that Jesus is inside of us. That is how we show our light to other people, and its the light of Jesus that makes us very special. Let’s pray,
Dear Father, thank you for using us to show the world your light. We know that you love this world very much, and we want to be special people in this world. We know that there is nothing inside of us that is special without you and the light you give us, so we ask that you would use us to show light to the world. Help us to do the things you would have us to do. In your name we pray, Amen.
Questions to ask your tot:
- You might want to review last weeks questions with your tot.
- Who makes light shine in us? Jesus
- How do we show this light to other people? By doing the things God wants us to do!
|Questions? Post questions or comments on our Facebook Page. You may have the same question as someone else. If you don’t have a Facebook account, feel free to email us.|