My 8-year-old son loves to create things. He is an artist through and through. He could draw for hours on end, build LEGO creations until his finger tips are numb and make up songs and stories until the sun comes up. It’s all I can do to keep up. Nevertheless, my husband and I are always looking for ways to fuel his creativity so when something new comes along it always gets my attention. That’s why the discovery of a pen that draws in three dimensions was especially exciting. [Don’t miss the giveaway at the bottom of this post!]
Disclosure: I received this product for free and was compensated for my time. All opinions expressed are my own and I was not required to post a positive review.
From the moment our AtmosFlare 3D Pen arrived in the mail my boys (the big one included) were dying to open it and create something. Our first creation was a simple cube just to get a feel for how the device worked. Everyone crowded around to see the three-dimensional objects take shape right before their eyes. It’s truly fascinating to watch.
About The AtmosFlare 3D Pen
The AtmosFlare 3D Drawing Pen is a clever new device that lets you create three-dimensional objects in seconds. It uses a special ink that hardens when exposed to UV light. The kit includes a pen, two ink cartridges (red and blue), four tips and a AA battery. The pen assembles in a snap so you can start creating instantly.
We had a lot of fun with the 3d pen and we found three reasons why you should give it a try.
3 Reasons Why You Need a 3D Pen
- Stretches your whole family’s creativity. The AtmosFlare 3D pen literally adds another dimension to your family’s creativity. Most any one can draw something original if you hand them a piece of paper and pencil. Ask them to draw a car, a flower or a house and they will immediately begin drawing and be done in no time. Why? Because they’ve drawn those objects countless times before. But hand them a 3d pen and ask them to make a car and they will have to think for a minute before starting. Do I make the wheels first or the body? Should I “draw” it from the bottom up or from the front to the back? Adding a third dimension to their artistry forces them to do some creative problem solving instead of relying on their usual habits.
- Enhances Your Homeschool Lessons. Pull out the AtmosFlare 3d pen during math to show your child the difference between 2-dimensional and 3-dimensional shapes. Start with a simple square then begin drawing up to form a cube. Make models to illustrate what you are learning about in science. Draw the different parts of a plant then join them together. Shake up your spelling lessons by letting your kiddo practice writing his or her words with the 3d pen. Recreate artifacts from ancient cultures you may be learning about in history or draw famous sculptures or statues.The options of incorporating a 3D pen into your homeschool day are endless.
- Spices up your art options for a reasonable price. The AtmosFlare 3D Pen currently retails for $29.99. If you’ve spent any time in a craft store you know how expensive some hobbies can be so $30 seems very reasonable. The ink refills cost $5.99 but seem to go a long way. With 12 different color options you’ll have plenty of options to keep up with your creative pursuits. For such a reasonable price it’s worth giving this unique artistic outlet a try.
Tips and Tricks for the AtmosFlare 3D Pen
There is a bit of learning curve for using the AtmosFlare 3D Drawing Pen.
- Use wax paper, a coated paper plate or a clear desk protector as a work surface. Because the ink is a liquid that hardens, you’ll want to have a smooth disposable surface.
- Go back over your creation with the UV light once it is complete. This will ensure that it has completely hardened. You can also put your creation out in direct sunlight. This will help your creation cure completely in no time.
- Make smooth steady strokes. Unless you want a clumpy mess of a creation, don’t try to make quick short strokes. Allow the ink to flow steadily from the pen.
- Keep a few paper towels on hand to keep the pen tips clean and to wipe up any possible sticky messes.
The Bottom Line
The AtmosFlare 3D Pen is a fun little gadget. It takes some practice to make smooth lines and sturdy connections, but learning is half the fun. AtmosFlare’s website offers some helpful videos to help you get started and I recommend taking a few minutes to watch them before diving in. But in no time you’ll be “drawing” unique figures and creations in three dimensions.
While the packaging says it’s for ages 14 and up we were comfortable letting our 8-year-old create with it as we supervised.
Win An AtmosFlare 3D Pen
Atmosflare is going to give a pen to 30 winners!! Use the form below to enter.
Looking for more ways to win? Join the iHomeschool Network Instagram Challenge sponsored by AtmosFlare. The challenge runs from February 22 to March 6, 2016. Learn more here.
Find Out More About AtmosFlare 3D Pen
The AtmosFlare 3D Pen is sold at Toys “R” Us and Best Buy as well as at www.atmosflare3d.com.
Connect with them.