For our family night activity this week we made watermelon men! It was a fun way to talk about the parts of the body and do something as a family. Plus, with summer making everything so hot outside, it was a healthy no bake snack idea!
- A seedless watermelon
- Gingerbread man cookie cutter/s
- Pineapple Rings
- Marciano Cherries
- Mandarin Orange Slices
- Wax Paper
- Use a paring knife and scour the rind of the watermelon in 1/2 inch rings.
- Cut the watermelon into 1/2 inch rings using the scoured lines as a guide.
- Lay a ring of watermelon for each person on a sheet of wax paper. This makes for a quicker and easier clean-up
- Using your cookie cutter, cut a man out of the watermelon slice.
- Decorate the watermelon men with the other fruit pieces.
- Enjoy snacking on your cute creations!
- If you don’t have large gingerbread man cookie cutters, use the watermelon rings to make faces instead.
- Bananas are good all purpose fruit! You can simplify this craft and just use the bananas for the eyes, nose, and mouth of your watermelon face.
- Set all of the fruit you plan on using on a paper towel before you begin decorating. This will allow the juices to drain and your project will be a little less sticky.
- I strongly suggest using a paring knife to scour the outer rind of the watermelon before cutting your 1/2 inch slices. After scouring you should be able to cut rings evenly and quickly with a butcher knife.
- Make gingerbread or sugar cookie men and decorate them
- Looking for a game to play? Try doing the Hokey Pokey as a family! Its a great way to review the parts of the body and get your kiddo moving
- Singing body songs, like “Head, Shoulders, Knees and Toes” is also a great family activity
- While enjoying your snack, pull out some old family movies of your kids. Talk about how much they’ve grown, and how they are changing!
|Questions? Post questions or comments on our Facebook Page. You may have the same question as someone else. If you don’t have a Facebook account, feel free to email us.|