Dr. Seuss Unit

This week we kind of had a crazy idea.  We were going to be posting about the senses.  When we talked earlier in the week we randomly came up with a new idea.

Next week is Read Across America.  To celebrate we are planning lessons based off of several of Dr. Seuss’ books.  We want you all to be able to gather the books and materials to celebrate Read Across America with us, so we are posting this lesson plan today.  Remember that we haven’t had a chance to teach this yet and there may be something we missed in the printables.  If you see anything we missed let us know! With that being said, here is what we will be doing to celebrate Dr. Seuss!

Click the image above to download a single zipped file.

Language Arts
“Hop on Pop” Rhyming Flip Books- This flip book activity will introduce your child to rhyming sounds.  The rhymes in this book are based off of Hop on Pop.

Hop on Pop

“Green Eggs And Ham” Beginning Writing- (Can also be used for cutting practice.) You can use this document over and over again if you laminate it and then have you child write with dry erase markers. (Black dry erase wipes off easier than color ones.)

Green Eggs and Ham (I Can Read It All by Myself Beginner Books)
“Horton Hears…” A Letter: This activity will help you child identify letters based off of the sound they make.   Print out the printable, which we found at Seussville, and have your child decorate Horton’s ears.  Attach them and then lay out these alphabet cards is front of your child.  Say a letter sound and let your child pick the right letter.  This activity is based off of Horton Hears a Who.
 Horton Hears A Who!   image

Math
Roll & Graph: “Mr. Brown Can Moo, Can You?”- Have your child roll the sound die and then add a sticker to the graph above the object that makes that sound.  Once you’ve completed the graph (first object to 10), make sure to ask simple questions.  Such as, “Which item had the most (tallest bar)? Which item had the least (shortest)? How many (cows) did we have?”  Make sure to show them how to use the graph, instead of just counting the stickers..

Mr. Brown Can Moo! Can You? (Bright and Early Books for Beginning Beginners)  Roll and Graph: Forest AnimalsMrBrownDie

“Ten Apples Up on Top!” Counting- This activity will work on your child’s beginning counting skills, and their number recognition.

tenapplesclipcards-1

“The Foot Book” Measuring-This activity will help your child gain experience in measurement by using a non-standard measuring tool.

Buy on Amazon.   How Many Feet-1Pic Your Own Objects

For Fun
”One fish, two fish, red fish, blue fish” Opposites– This activity will introduce your child to opposites.  You will be playing a game with your child.  Call out to you kiddo an action and let them act it out.  Once they have acted, yell out the opposite action and them act that out also.  Here are some ideas: Buy on Amazon.

• Near and Far
    • In and Out
    • Over and Under
    • Up and Down
    • Fast and Slow
    • Happy and Sad
“The Cat in the Hat” Craft– There are various crafts on the web on how to make a Cat in the Hat Hat.  Madonna made this one last year and we will be recreating it!
Buy on Amazon.   IMG_4449
“If I Ran the Zoo” Animal Mix Up– This game will give your kiddo the chance to mix and match different animals to make their own zany creations, just like Dr. Seuss.
If I Ran the Zoo (Classic Seuss)     animal_mixup_cover
We hope you enjoy these lesson plans and please let us know if you have any issues with downloading or using the items provided.

This post contains google ads and affiliated links.  This post contains affilated links.  Please click here to read our full disclosure policy.

Looking for more ideas?

–>

Don’t miss out on our other Dr. Seuss unit!
Dr. Seuss Preschool Unit

Comments

Great collection of Seuss activities! Thanks for sharing.

Thank you so much for sharing! I’m posting a link back to you on my blog (to go live March 2nd).

Thank you for passing it on. We look forward to reading your post.

What a wonderful collection of activities! Outstanding! Thank you so much for sharing a link to your post on my linky today:)

This was just what I was looking for!!! Thank you for all your hard work on your printables they are AWESOME!!!

These are great, thank you!  I had to share them on my blog.

I appreciate this so much…and so will my preschoolers.  I can’t say thank you enough!

8. Lynn says

These are awesome!! Thanks so much for sharing!!!

Thank you for passing it on. We look forward to reading your post.

11. mireya says

Thank you so much for sharing these great activities!!! My kiddos will enjoy!!

Mireya
    yayaagu@aol.com

12. Lisa Lou says

Hi there! I am linking to your blog from mine. This is a wonderful resource! Thanks for sharing. Here is my blog to go live on Thursday, March 3, 2011. I’m making it a week of Seuss activities. http://blogs.scholastic.com/cl…/

Keep up the great work!
    Nancy

Great collection of Seuss activities! Thanks for sharing.

Hey Shelia sorry you are having difficulties. In order to download the printables you will need to be able to view pop-ups, as they will appear in a pop up window from our site. Hope this helps.

I love the Green Eggs and Ham beginning writing pages-thanks!

I absolutely love all of your ideas! Thank you for sharing with us :)

Tracy I’m so sorry I missed your comment. Yes, feel free to link back to my blog from your page.

Hello I would like to use some of your files for Dr. Seuss week but it’s not downloading in a zip file, it’s coming up in google docs. Can you please email them to me mglanton90@gmail.com

Maria- The zip file is hosted on Google Drive. Depending on your Google Drive settings you should be able to download the zipped pack in one of the following ways:

1. Click on File in the top menu bar, then scroll down to the bottom of the drop down box and select Download.

OR

2. Click on the DOWN ARROW in the bottom right hand corner. A pop up window will show up allowing you to save the file to your computer.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you run into any other issues.